Monday, July 30, 2012

Wedding Rings


Ecclesiastes 7:14
“In the day of prosperity be happy, but in the day of adversity consider - God has made the one as well as the other...”
Many things in life are put before us as reminders and symbols.  I am thankful for the reminder from a wedding ring.
I have a theory about rings:  they are the best form of jewelry for a reminder.  They’re the one piece of jewelry that is constantly visible that also doesn’t get in the way (generally).  I don’t know about you, but a bracelet just seems to be in my way most of the time.  A necklace isn’t readily visible to the person wearing it.  Anklets take a little effort to see, and you can’t see earrings at all without a mirror.  
A ring, though, is always on your hand.  And your hands are usually in front of you where you can see them throughout your day.  As a result, my wedding ring will often catch the light and send a little glitter toward my eye.  
A diamond needs two things to shine with brilliance:  light and the right cut.  God unified my husband and me to glitter, but we cannot achieve that glitter apart from His light and His perfect cut.  Catching the glitter in my eye is like being able to see the light of Christ refracted brilliantly off of the diamond of our marriage.  During the hard times, though, I can remember that it takes cutting to shine brighter.
The trick is how to be thankful for the cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment