Friday, August 3, 2012

Celebrations


Esther 9:28
“So these days were to be remembered and celebrated throughout every generation, every family, every province and every city; and these days of Purim were not to fail from among the Jews, or their memory fade from their descendants.”
I write this on my birthday.  I came into the day not expecting very much, as I didn’t have a party planned until more than a week later, and it should be a quiet dinner tonight.  
However, when I came in for work at the office, flowers and cards decorated my desk, and there was even a piece of cake.  It’s amazing how much those things can affect a person.  As the day has continued, I have received more flowers and well-wishes.  As you can guess, I was pretty happy that my coworkers cared.  I look forward to a small dinner of home-cooked 1/2 lb hamburgers - to be prepared by my husband.  
I didn’t think it would mean a whole lot to me - it’s just another birthday.  Yet, as my day progresses, I realize that it’s been a little while since I celebrated.  I am truly glad that those around me care enough to put a little effort into making my day a little brighter.  
God knew what He was doing when He told His people to celebrate.  In fact, there were quite a few things that He commanded them to celebrate.  A large part of the reason is so that they would remember the things that He has done for them.  But He didn’t have to choose celebration as the action.  I think He chose celebration because we need to celebrate.
When was the last time you celebrated?

No comments:

Post a Comment