Monday, August 6, 2012

Songs

1 Corinthians 14:26b
“When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.”
We use songs for a vast variety of things.  We use them in movies to emote certain feelings, in worship to sing our hearts out in praise to God, in a march to walk in unity.  To express our thoughts and feelings to others.  To honor the memory of someone.  A myriad of different ways.

In the passage above, Paul is talking about the body of believers.  I take Paul’s message to mean that God has taught each of us something to be shared with the rest, and that we each have our ways of expressing those.  I often relate deeply to those expressed through songs (or psalms, as he calls them).  I am thankful that God gave us songs to be able to relate the things He has taught us.

However, I am to listen to the other ways, too.  God doesn’t only use one way to tell us something.  This passage reminds me that I am to listen to each of God’s children around me for what God will teach me through them.  Whose experience is God using to teach you right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment