Saturday, September 15, 2012

Weekly Impressions - My Good and His Glory


Romans 8:28
“And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”
I have mentioned before that it is easier for me to see God and be thankful to Him when I’m outside, because His Creation is a constant reminder of Him.  It is harder when I am inside, because nothing inside reminds me of Him that same way.  I had originally thought that lack of an obvious reminder just meant that I should focus more on the abstract:  things like Grace, Victory, and Teaching.  However, I think that it’s time to make more of an effort to see God in my house.

I am thankful that the Lord gave us a home to own, and for the things we have learned on that journey.  However, our house is a fixer-upper.  We’ve done a lot to it, but we still have miles to go before our house is finished, and we’ve lost our steam.  I think I have let the disappointments and constant reminders of what still needs to be done to the house - as well as some frustration in not being able to tend to them for one reason or another - get in the way of how I view my home.  I am, to some degree, discontent it.  God is showing me that the problem isn’t all the issues my home has; the problem is my attitude.  I have lost sight of God and His care for me specifically in my home.  If I am discontent with my home, then I am discontent with God, who gave me my home for my good.

It’s easy to start looking at God as some sort of taskmaster who enacts constant discipline.  It is true that we need to be constantly diligent - and the Holy Spirit helps us with that - but God is also our caregiver.  Everything He does in our lives is for our good and His glory (“our” referring to His children).  He has our best interests at heart.  He loves us dearly, and will never let us go.  God is love, and that is why we have trials.  He empowers us to give thanks during our trials and for our trials, as well as to have His joy through those trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment