Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Sidewalks


I grew up in the country with dirt roads, so I haven’t had a lot of experience with walking in the city.  I took my son for a walk in his stroller the other day and had assumed that there was a sidewalk along the road to where I was headed.  I learned that not all areas have sidewalks.  Then I learned that some sidewalks are actually on the other side of the road... go figure.

During the span of time when I wasn’t looking at the other side of the road, I was walking with my stroller in the bike lane, thinking that I would never do this again and would always map out my walk along sidewalks in the future.  If I had been walking alone, it wouldn’t have been a big deal, but it was rather disconcerting making the trek with my baby.  Thank the Lord He directed my attention to the other side of the road.  I can be astoundingly oblivious at times.

I often travel through life in that same way.  God has a sidewalk for me, but I’m not paying attention.  I take the shortest distance to my destination and don’t realize until later that I didn’t ask God, and that my way really isn’t best.  Yet, patiently, He redirects my attention, and lavishes His grace upon my sinful heart.

I thank God that He has made sidewalks for His children - both figurative and literal.  Are we listening to Him and looking for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment