Saturday, October 6, 2012

Weekly Impressions - The Giver


Dear Lord,

I love this journey that you’ve set me on to write about one thing that I’m thankful for each day.  It has helped me to be purposeful about meditating on You more often, and You have shown me many things each day through those meditations.  Thank you for setting me on this journey.  I praise the Giver of all good things.

In Jesus’ name,
Amen

One of the things that God has shown me fairly recently, is something that I had said toward the beginning.  I had said that I was searching for God in the things around me.  I didn’t realize the wisdom of that until later.  In finding something to be thankful for each day, it is easy to begin focusing on the thing... I have to be careful that I am worshiping the Giver and not the gift.

Someone mentioned this in an offhand phrase that wasn’t necessarily pointed at me, but the Holy Spirit snatched it and held it up in front of my heart.  I had recently been struggling with how to show God in the thankful things that I was posting, and He was telling me the reason why it is so important to not just look at the gift.  He is the one worthy of all our praise.  He gives us many gifts, but it is Him we worship for those gifts.

If you look up the word “worship” in the dictionary, it talks about feelings of reverence.  This is all well and good, but our worship toward the Lord is more about ascribing worth.  This is not a feeling.  This is a choice.  The Lord is worthy of all our praise, whether we feel like reverencing Him or not.  Gifts are not worthy of worship.  I pray that God helps me to keep the correct focus, to worship the Giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment