Thursday, January 10, 2013

Breakfast

Isaiah 55:8
"'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways 
My ways,' declares the Lord."


Since middle school (the latter 90's), I have avoided breakfast as best I could, because I could only eat small amounts of certain foods a couple hours after waking, or my stomach would burn or feel nauseated - especially if I drank much liquid. I would still eat if there was a family breakfast or some such, but watched what I ate and how much of it, testing the results by the burning about 10 minutes later. Altogether, it was a much more pleasant experience to just skip breakfast and eat later.

During my pregnancy with my son, I found myself much hungrier in the mornings (after the morning sickness stage) and decided I had better eat even if it hurt - for my baby’s sake, if nothing else. Bread was usually the least painful in the correct quantities, so I started having a piece of buttered bread in the mornings. I was glad to find it didn’t hurt. Wanting variety (and quantity) I soon changed it to peanut butter and boysenberry jam on top. I added a granola bar. Then I started eating two of the instant oatmeal packets. Before I knew it, I was eating a full-on breakfast and my stomach wasn’t burning. I was incredibly grateful, but distantly dreaded the eventuality of the issue returning after my little man popped out.

Years later, I am still eating breakfast. I had replaced it with juicing for a time, which was amazing, too, since the liquid didn’t upset my stomach, either. Now, I usually have eggs, some small form of bread, and maybe even bacon or sausage. I can’t tell you how nice it is to be able to eat breakfast! In the morning!

I thank God for changing my anatomy through my pregnancy! I don’t know why He chose that mode, but it is enough for me to know He did. Whenever I try to do things my way, I'm reminded my intelligence doesn't begin to approach God's, nor do I know how best to care for everyone. Only He knows and sees that. Which is why God is God, and I am not. I choose, today, to trust His good judgement and follow wherever He leads.

Has He given you something in a way you didn't expect? Do you trust Him to follow where He leads - even if it isn't what you think you want?

No comments:

Post a Comment