Thursday, January 17, 2013

Doors

Hebrews 12:1c-2
"...and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."


It’s surprising how much we take doors for granted. I lived without interior doors in my home for about three years (except in the bathroom) - when it was just my husband and me. Once we had our son, and after the initial period of the baby in the same room, we discovered just how much we really did want doors. The privacy, ability to muffle sound, and to keep a little munchkin in a safe place while you take a break... doors are a beautiful thing.

I can’t imagine what life would be like without exterior doors. Cold, hot, arachnids, rodents and snakes... strangers... shudder! I am very glad we have doors!

Then there are the metaphorical doors. An open door and an opportunity, a closed door and a decision you don’t have to make. The metaphorical doors give us little hints as to where God is leading. It’s true a lot of closed doors can be very discouraging, but bear in mind - God is in control, and He always has the best in mind for you. He always answers prayer, and He will guide you in His victory.

I know it doesn’t always feel that way, but I encourage you to “look full in His wonderful face” during those times. Don’t squint away, or get distracted by the waves around you. Truly look full into His face, and see “the light of His glory and grace.” (Quotes from the hymn “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus.”)

I am reminded me of the song by Jamie Grace “I Love the Way You Hold Me.” As I walk through this life, I see more and more how His hands hold me. It isn’t that they hold me now more than they used to; I’m seeing it more. He holds me every moment. Open doors - and closed doors - are one of the ways He holds me. I am thankful for the many uses doors have, and for the direction God gives us with the metaphorical ones.

What doors has He opened and closed in your life? Do you see it in the light of His glory and grace? Do you trust Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment