Friday, January 11, 2013

Houseplants

Exodus 36:2
"Then Moses called Bezalel and Oholiab and every skillful person in whom the Lord had put skill, everyone whose heart stirred him, to come to the 
work to perform it."


I love gardening - even the weeding. It’s rather therapeutic for me - and not in the “I get to take my anger out on the weeds” kind of way. It’s more the sitting quietly and working with the earth, which often turns my mind to the Lord. His creation has that effect on me. It can help with loneliness, too, as it brings God’s presence to the forefront of my mind.

However, I can’t tend a garden until my backyard gets a watering system, since I don’t have consistent time to go out and water. Believe me, I’ve tried... it gets pretty sick looking. So in the meantime, I have houseplants. They aren’t nearly the same, but they do help. I also enjoy their nice lush green that makes my house a bit more inviting. Even though I sometimes forget to water them, too, trimming the dead leaves can be therapeutic in the same way as gardening. I also chose hardy plants!

I am thankful for houseplants, that God created multiple ways to assuage a desire. It boggles the mind the myriad ways God incorporates different passions or desires into the life of His children. God doesn't need us to perform His works, but I love seeing how different people employ the talents and passions He's given them to accomplish His works just a little differently from one another. I believe this is one of the ways we glorify Him! 

If there is a circumstance blocking you from using your passion in the traditional sense... is there a different way you could employ it? Maybe you can even take it a step further and find a way to incorporate it in your ministry?

No comments:

Post a Comment