Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Proof-Readers


I have been working on creating a book out of my first 100 thankful things.  It’s intended to be used as a springboard for your own thankful things, as well as a personal resource to use your own thankful things in your struggles.  (You can read more about it here.)  Last week, I completed the process of inserting the text, editing it, formatting everything, kerning all of the text, and indexing my thankful things.  It was ready to be proof-read.

I wanted to get a certain friend’s opinion on the book, and she had also told me that her mother was very good at proof-reading, so I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone.  I printed the book out and gave it to her last Wednesday.  She informed me that her mother had been a college English professor.  Score!

My friend gave me the book back today (Monday) completely proof-read!  I was rather amazed that her mother was already finished, and thumbed through to see what sort of notes she had left.  They’re absolutely what I needed!  They don’t affect the tone, point out where I was confusing, tell me what was good (or even enjoyable), and are just all-around helpful.

I am very thankful that God directed my book to such a capable and willing proof-reader!  Hopefully, I can use them to be a bit more clear in my thoughts.  I didn’t want to add too much polish to the work - I’m supposed to be encouraging you to write your own thankful things, and you don’t need to have polish to write about something you’re thankful for.  I think she completely understood what I was going for, and added just enough polish to make it more readable, but not daunting.  I’ll incorporate my choice of edits (which is definitely the high majority) as soon as I can, and hopefully the book will be ready for printing rather soon!

I pray that I get to see how God uses my book For His Glory - and maybe even your good.

No comments:

Post a Comment