Saturday, May 11, 2013

Weekly Impressions - Hungry


“Hungry I come to You
For I know You satisfy.
I am empty but I know Your love
Does not run dry.

“So I wait for You
So I wait for You.

“I’m falling on my knees
Offering all of me.
Jesus you’re all this heart is living for.

“Broken I run to You
For Your arms are open wide.
I am weary but I know Your touch
Restores my life.

“So I wait for You
So I wait for You.

“I’m falling on my knees
Offering all of me.
Jesus you’re all this heart is living for.”

-Lyrics from the song Hungry by Joy Williams (I think - there were several artists listed)

This song is hitting home tonight.  As I struggle with discipline to be intentional in my walk with the Lord, I find myself pulled between doing fun things - in which I can bring Him glory in my enjoyment - or spending more time in specific focus on Him.  The moment I choose time with Him, the more I find myself in the heart of this song.

“Hungry I come to You for I know You satisfy.”

I find myself hungering for something to fill me, and the second I step into His presence, I can feel that need being met, which shows me just how empty I am:

“I am empty but I know Your love does not run dry.”

No matter how empty I am or feel, His infinite and abounding love is there for me to draw upon.  “So I [will] wait for You.”  I will give the Lord control.  To do so,

“I’m falling on my knees, offering all of me.  Jesus You’re all this heart is living for.”

That last line catches me every time.  Am I living only for Jesus?  Hardly ever.  Yet this moves me to Confess my sin to God and to seek His help in order to achieve that whole-hearted worship.  I choose Jesus this moment.

“Broken [in the knowledge of my sin] I run to You for Your arms are open wide.  “The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.” (Psalm 51:17)

“I am weary but I know Your touch restores my life.”  I am hungry for Your touch to cleanse my sin and restore my soul.  And “so I wait for You” and cede control to You, my King, my Redeemer, my comfort and shelter, and my Lion of the Tribe of Judah who goes before me.  “The Lord is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” (Deuteronomy 31:8)

How can I fear?  Now I hunger for You all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment