Monday, July 22, 2013

Birthday Money


I haven’t had my birthday just yet, but I’ve already been given a gift of a fair amount of money.  Contemplating just exactly what I want to get with that money has been quite enjoyable.  It’s that question of the right combination of what I really want, could (and would) use, and how far I make my dollar go.  I have narrowed my choices to three items:  a renaissance dress, a pair of sterling cuff earrings that look a bit elfin, or the yarn that I will need to knit the skirt that I bought a pattern for.

I am thankful for birthday money, that it’s a fun way to consider the best way to spend my money; I want to make the choice count.  I am also thankful that I can get something I would like that I would not otherwise have been able to.  I am glad that the Lord taught me (mostly through my parents) to spend my money wisely, and for the enjoyment of exercising that wisdom.  It reminds me of Proverbs 10:23:  “Doing wickedness is like sport to a fool, and so is wisdom to a man of understanding.”

I memorized this verse long ago in the hopes of being able to put it to use, in a search for wisdom.  It is fun to be able to see an example in my own life of enjoying wisdom (in this case, seen as what item would be not only desirable, but also practical and frugal) as a sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment