Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Tough Mudder


My husband isn’t in shape at the moment, but he has a few friends who are (like really are).  Those buddies asked him if he would be interested in joining them in a team for a Tough Mudder competition.  (If you don’t know what that is, it’s a 12-mile obstacle course through the mud, including a field of wires that will shock you with the force of a taser, and a 12-foot half pipe.)  I’m not particularly stoked at the idea of him getting shocked like that, but I do appreciate the work he would have to do to get in shape for it, and the camaraderie of his team.  

My husband is a little excited about it.  I’m excited that he’s excited, and glad for opportunity before him to be on a team with his buddies.  I’m a little sad that I can’t join him (for getting in shape, NOT the competition) due to my physical issues, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t root him (and his buddies) on.  It’s going to be a bit different for me, as I’m not used to being an encouragement in areas like that, but it will be good for me to work on.  

So I am thankful for Tough Mudder, not only that my husband wants to get in shape, but that his desire is a catalyst for me to become better at encouragement.  I pray that the Lord sustains his body throughout his exercise, and shows me new ways to get involved and be his encourager.  The only thing I’ve been able to think of is to ask how his workouts are going, but I think that part of encouragement is in the actions of the encourager.  I will seek for a physical way that I can support my husband, even if I can’t join him.

No comments:

Post a Comment