Thursday, November 2, 2017

Motherhood

2 Peter 1:2-3
"Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence."

If there is anything that has taught me to rely on His divine power, it's motherhood. I'm not saying other things didn't teach me, but motherhood does throw quite a bit at a woman. Motherhood persists... children's needs often won't wait for a mother's own. While we can sometimes allow a way to take a break, vomit won't clean itself. Cuts won't bandage themselves. Panic attacks over a stuffy nose because he or she has been crying over "the worst birthday ever" because he or she was disciplined for using too much toilet paper and clogging the toilet when he or she knows how much to use... need a steadying rock through the storm.

Understanding the grace it takes to rear a child engenders a whole new respect for our loving Father and the amount of patience and grace He extends to us. Motherhood is a demanding job, and God knows exactly how hard it is. Trying to help a child change their focus through the whining, the know-it-all pride, the drama, and the outright fear when all they can focus on is what they don't have, is wearing. The interesting thing seems to be, after I work through it with my child, I find myself warring precisely the same battle... and by that time doing just about as poorly as they did.  

So here I am, after everyone else is asleep, writing a thankful thing. Not because you need it, not because I have a goal I need to keep, but because it is one of the few ways I can keep my focus on the truth of Christ, without wandering off. God grants us everything we need to live a godly life through the true knowledge of Him. Whatever it takes to keep your focus on "the true knowledge of Him" - it's worth it. That's when true change happens, and when Christ can begin to work through you. Whether by prayer, reading the Bible, writing, or color journaling, whatever you have to do to get your focus back on Christ is your lifeline. So often I don't want to use it - but I am rendered useless (and usually crying) without it!

What is the truth I need to dwell on tonight? God has granted us everything we need to follow Him. The grace I am to extend to my children has already been given to me. I'm not perfect, and He doesn't expect me to be. Otherwise, He wouldn't have gone through the suffering on the cross. My mistakes are the perfect example to my children of why we need Christ! This doesn't grant me license to not try to live a godly life - especially since He's granted us everything we need to live it - though it is a reason why it's so important to ask our children's forgiveness. In so doing, I model asking forgiveness of God as His child, and relying upon His grace.

I need His grace. Every moment. Even when things are going "right." Motherhood has a tendency to throw that need in my face... in a good way, even if I don't always take it as such, which is why I'm thankful for it. It isn't my job to make my children more like Christ... that's God's job. My job is to point my children to Christ, ask their forgiveness when I mess up, and be a witness of His love, grace, and mercy. 

He never runs out of patience with me. His tactics may change according to my attitude, but His love, grace, and patience are applied consistently throughout. He is always working all things to make us more like Christ, and motherhood is no exception!

No comments:

Post a Comment