Friday, July 17, 2015

Life on Earth

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
"Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself and God our Father, who has loved us and given us eternal comfort and good hope by grace, comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word."

The Bible often refers to the world in regard to the sinful people who live in it. "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." (Romans 12:2a). As christians, I think we (or at least I) have a tendency to take this a little far: the world is a horrible place to be. Granted, we are to "be in the world, not of the world," but that doesn't mean that life here is drudgery. Part of the beauty of a life of following Christ is - because of His grace - we can be joyful despite our circumstances.

I long to be with Christ in heaven, and I hate this world in comparison, but God still gives "good things" and "perfect gifts" (James 1:17) on this earth. It is here on earth where He chose to create the living, here where He put me, and here where He uses me now. It is here that He has given me a three-year-old son to jet out of the house to tell me goodbye with a hug and a kiss before I go. Here that I have a four-month-old daughter who often smiles at me with a coy little grin. God has given me a life here, and as much as I long to be serving sinlessly in His more tangible presence, I enjoy the life He has given me on earth.

May I be cognizant to show that joy in His grace and good gifts, that others, too, might know of His goodness - even in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment