Friday, July 31, 2015

Reminders

2 Peter 1:12
"Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you."

In my walk with God, it took me a rather long time before I realized the true importance of reminders. If I already knew something about God, I didn't see much point in going back over it unless there might be something more to be gleaned (it isn't called the Living Word for nothing). I noticed this most when my Biblical Counselor gave me an assignment to read a number of verses and write down the main point of each. As I worked through the list, I began to feel like I had just been given busywork. I didn't have time for busywork.

The epiphany didn't come until further into the counseling process, but the Lord convicted me of my pride of knowledge versus my forgetfulness. I don't have the greatest memory, but I'm referring more to when the Bible talks about how mankind is quick to forget. Israel did it time and again, and if we're honest with ourselves, we do it, too.  I may know a truth, but that doesn't mean I live it. 

Now, when I hear someone mention a truth they've just discovered, I don't just think, "Ah, so that's what they're learning right now."  I consider, "Is my life reflecting that truth?"

My son is three-and-a-half years and my daughter is just over four months old; I'm still dealing with some post-partum hormones and the rebellion of the threes. I'm also struggling with a pain in my rib that isn't subsiding with physical therapy, and my son wrecked the control to the fan in his room.  I cried.

As I sat there on the floor with his sweet voice reassuring me, I tried to pull myself back together. Then I heard, "It's okay, Mommy, you don't have to cry, because God is here." 

That got my attention. 

"You're right, buddy," I sniffed. "You're absolutely right."  I knew it was God's grace that my little man was reminding me of God's presence. I felt His love in that moment, and several truths came flooding to mind.  God works all things together for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28); God gives me the strength to carry out His righteousness (Philippians 4:13); I'm not alone in my temptation and I don't have to give in to it (1 Corinthians 10:13); God's grace is sufficient for me (2 Corinthians 12:9).  With these under my belt, I was able to continue the day as a mother through God's strength, rather than my own. 

Which of His truths do you need to be reminded of today?

No comments:

Post a Comment