Thursday, December 19, 2019

Moments of Clarity

James 1:14-17
"But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow."


You know those moments when it’s like God just opens your eyes and you can see something for what it is? If you’ve known God for any length of time, you know what I mean. Otherwise, you can just think back to when God opened your eyes for the first time to follow Him. When you realized He is all you’ll ever need or have needed. 

I recently realized I've lost my peace in the Lord, and have been pondering why. I simply have so much to do, so much I want to accomplish, so much desire to be more; it’s insatiable. Our culture encourages this. Yet God is not my God if I cannot simply enjoy Him. If I want something more than I want God and His plan for me, then I have let an idol take hold in my heart; of course I've lost my peace!

God did not create me to enjoy life later, or when I have achieved my ideal. God created me to enjoy His good gifts now. I don't need to be perfect to have joy. I don't need to treat myself to escape this life; I can enjoy the treats God has provided in this life if I intentionally look for them. Looking ahead isn't bad, so long as I don't lose sight of His good gifts around me.

The Lord Himself is my portion (Lamentations 3:24) and He's right here. Dwell on that a moment. Nothing has entered my world that hasn't already passed through His loving hands. He has joy for me here. I don't want to miss it!

How prideful am I if I require more than what He’s already given me to be happy, to be content - to be at peace. I am thankful for moments of clarity, that in this one, God showed me my focus and hope was in the wrong place. Now, I choose this moment to enjoy the circumstances He’s given me. To marvel at the life He’s given. To enjoy Him and His perfect gifts from above.

What good gift of His can you enjoy right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment