Monday, October 15, 2012

Alarm Clocks


I’m not a morning person.  I’m a night owl.  I would far rather stay up late to accomplish something than to get up early.  This is why alarm clocks are my friends.  It’s a bit of a love-hate relationship, but it’s pretty much the only way that I can get up in the morning.

It’s a bit of an arrangement the alarm clock and I have with one another.  I set one for a half hour before I actually have to get up.  It goes off and I snooze it.  It doesn’t bother me for the allotted nine minutes (the iPhone default).  It alerts me again, I snooze it, it alerts me again, I snooze it.  Now twenty-seven minutes have passed during which I have slowly made my way out of the land of sleep toward the world of the awakened.  Three minutes later, a different alarm with a different tone goes off.  Now I have to get up.

The Lord knows my strengths and weaknesses, and that getting up in the morning is a task that I tackle with difficulty.  In His wisdom, He has created certain things in which we are to practice discipline.  Getting up in the morning is definitely a discipline.  So I have a choice.  I can tackle it in my own strength and be grouchy, or I can see His discipline as a display of His love for me.  Getting up in the morning is a part of my relationship with Christ - including my dance with the alarm clock.  

All things in life are a part of His relationship with His children.  Talk to Him about it.  That ability is part of the gift that Jesus imparted to us.  So I am thankful that God gave us alarm clocks to aid us in our relationship with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment