Friday, October 19, 2012

Comfy Couches

Exodus 15:2
"The Lord is my strength and song, and He has become my salvation; this is my God and I will praise Him; My father's God and I will extol Him." 


If you have a comfy couch in your home, you’ll find you will accumulate quite a few memories associated with it. Especially if you have a little imagination.  

I loved making forts and tunnels out of the cushions when I was young. I only had three cushions, so I usually suspended the cushions between the coffee table and the couch, perhaps with a door on each side. I was pretty stoked when, later on, we got a couch and a loveseat. I hadn’t played with the cushions for some time, but couldn’t pass up the opportunity. (I asked Mom’s permission, of course!)

When I was a little older, it was more of what we did while on the couch - like rough-housing with my brother or watching television with my dad. We had a few sleepovers when I forewent my bed in favor of staying in the living room with my friends - I usually let them have the couch. I would wake up early with my brother and sister to watch Saturday cartoons, or stay up late playing video games. When I was sick, I would lie on the couch and watch movies.  At my own home (I have a comfy loveseat), my friend and I played pirates with my niece and pretended the couch was a ship. There are a myriad memories I associate with comfy couches.

I am thankful for them because they lend themselves to spending time with family and making memories on and around them. It’s a natural place to congregate and spend time. (It helps that time and touch are my two love languages.) 

I see comfy couches as one of God's tools for interpersonal connection - especially among family and friends. In my relationship with Him, things like comfy couches are one of the ways in which I can see Him caring for me. I love Exodus 15:2 (quoted above), because it seems to characterize this for me. It is one of the ways He strengthens me, and I will praise Him for it!

What does He provide in your life that shows you His love?

No comments:

Post a Comment