Thursday, October 25, 2012

Overcoming Fear


I have many fears.  In some cases, I have hesitancy or uncertainty, but I am realizing that these are born out of fear more often than a healthy respect.  One thing that God has taught me not to be uncertain in, is my voice.  This came through much practice, and the realization that I learn more, learn it faster, and do it better if I purposefully avoid uncertainty as I sing.  An often-heard choir adage is “if you’re going to make a mistake, make it loud.”  (This is, of course, in reference to when you’re learning and practicing a song.)

I mentioned the amount of practice, but really, it is God who gives me the ability to not be uncertain in that area, because I know that singing is one of the gifts He gave me to share.  I know for a fact that it is one of my appointments by Him.  With each practice session, performance, and personal praise session with Him, He impressed that knowledge into my mind, and then into my heart, and finally into my very being.  Through His relationship with me, He has given me a glimpse of a part of the purpose He has for me on this earth.  There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that singing is one of my purposes for being here.

That certainty - that truth, if you will - is why I can overcome any fear of mine that would keep me from singing.  By His power and the knowledge that He has given me, I can have the courage not to worry about this or that mistake, or this or that lack of polish.  Each practice or performance is a chance to learn a little more and to hone my skill a little more.  That isn’t to say that I don’t try to do my best, but I don’t stress about it.  In the end, God will receive all of the praise, and that’s all that matters.

I would love to overcome the rest of my fears this way, but God hasn’t gotten me there yet.  I am still uncertain about a myriad other things in my life, but I am seeking God.  He will pick up my slack and slowly feed it back to me as He strengthens me and teaches me how to lean upon His power rather than my own.  I look forward to our future relationship, and to learning more about how He can overcome all of my fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment