Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Texting


I love texting.  It’s a better way to leave a message for someone, and if they can get back to you right then, all the better!  A call has a couple of expectations with it:  you at least need to ask how they’re doing, and perhaps to carry on a mini-conversation.  

It isn’t that I don’t want to know how the person is.  The problem comes when I’m strapped for time and I just need to remember to ask them a question.  I can’t do that in a call - especially if the person is a talker.  Texting, however, allows me to carry on the conversation that the talker wants to have - it just takes longer because it will be during the spare moments I actually have to devote to that person.  Or, if I find the time later on, I can call, but they will either have texted me the answer to my question, or will tell me during the call.

It’s also great for those moments when I’m wondering how my friends are doing after their bedtime.  I always seem to be wondering how they are late at night.  I can just shoot them a text.  This allows them to respond at their leisure (usually first thing in the morning when I’m asleep) - and then I don’t forget to ask.

God has taught me that staying connected is important.  I’m not very good at it, but I am working on that.  I am thankful for texting because it is a tool that God has given me to do one of the things that He has asked of me:  to stay connected.  

No comments:

Post a Comment