Monday, May 27, 2013

LAN Parties


My husband and I got together with a group of friends at one of their homes for a LAN party of League of Legends last night.  (LAN stands for Local Area Network, and means that we brought our computers to play over a home’s network with each other.  League of Legends is a free-to-play online game.)  We stayed up hours past our bedtime, but the lack of sleep was worth it.  We had so much fun hanging out with one another (and, of course, beating on each other in game).

The last time I was able to participate in a LAN party was a few days before I gave birth to Our Son.  The fact that I hosted this party at Our House so close to my due date might be indicative of how much I enjoy LAN parties.  I suppose you could compare it to playing volleyball (or some such sport) with friends.  We all share an interest in the same game, and enjoy playing with one another.

God always seems to glorify Himself through humans’ imaginations and technological progress to accomplish His will.  I see LAN parties as serving the purpose of connecting with friends and learning that gaming isn’t fun just because you win - it’s fun because you’re spending time with your friends.  Keeping those priorities in order (ie relationship is more important than winning) can be part of the learning process of becoming more like Christ.  I am thankful that God uses even LAN parties as an opportunity to practice to be more like Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment