Sunday, July 27, 2014

Freedom

Galatians 5:1
“It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.”

The Law was given to us that we might better know what is expected of us to “earn” our way to heaven.  It is, of course, impossible to keep the entire Law… and as Romans 6:23 tells us, the wages of sin - any sin - is death.  Therefore, we cannot earn our way to heaven via the Law.

Christ, however, was able to keep the Law.  So, He came down, fulfilled the Law, then sacrificed Himself in substitution on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins - all of our sins.  Then He rose again and conquered death itself, that we might live in eternity with Him.  In fulfilling the Law, paying our penalty, and conquering death, He has set us free.

I combine thoughts from the verse above and Romans 6:14 to form two ideas:  to not subject myself (in legalism) to try to fulfill the Law, and to not allow myself to submit to my old master of sin.  Christ is my new Master.

I struggle not to allow other people to become my masters - my gods.  I yoke myself under the bonds of what they think, rather than to God Himself.  When they take the throne of my heart, they have, in truth, become my god.

Why do I look to them for acceptance and love?  Personally, it’s because I let myself stray from the recognition of the love of God that I already have.  Certainly, God gives us others to love and to love us, but when I am willing to sin to “earn” that love, then I subject myself to a different god, which produces worry, fear, and anxiety, which lead to depression.


Because of God’s grace, I am personally freed from living under the flawed mercy of the people around me.  Rather, I am under the freedom of Christ’s mercy.  Let the wonder of that truth permeate my soul until God’s prominence dwarfs everything and everyone else.  God is my God, not people.  They are just like me - just as sinful and in need of God’s grace.  May I focus on Him and what He has done for me to the point that my desires to obey Him are driven by love, and not duty.  Out of freedom.  Thank You, Lord, that You have freed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment