Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Steri-Strips

Ephesians 1:10f-11
"In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will..."


My son (not quite a year-and-a-half) received another noteworthy wound a couple days ago. Though I am still thankful for experienced moms (of whom one was present), I am also thankful for steri-strips. My little man was running full tilt around my mother-in-law’s living room. He twisted, lost his balance, and smacked right into the corner of my mother-in-law’s hutch. Each of the three women in the room (myself included) made a dash for him, but I got to the poor little guy first. I held him to me with his head over my shoulder and did my best to comfort him, while my mom-in-law saw what she could see... blood. He split part of his eyebrow open. Fortunately, it didn’t bleed profusely (certainly nothing like when he bit through his lip), and was easily managed. This is when I found out about steri-strips.

If you’ve never heard of them (as I hadn’t), they’re an item they would use in the hospital for this purpose. It’s a little adhesive strip that works much better than a butterfly, and covers more area, though still small. You leave it on until “it falls off.” It’s probably all they would have done had we taken him to the emergency room.

With not a little difficulty, we used a Tucks wipe, of all things, to disinfect the area, then applied a steri-strip over the wound. Of course, he didn’t want to leave it there, so we put a bandaid over it to make him less likely to tear it off. After we were able to take his attention away from it, it worked like a charm! It bled a little more, so the dried blood doesn’t look very nice under the clear strip, but the little guy doesn’t even touch it now (which makes me think it must not hurt very much).

Steri-strips are just one of the many things I am thankful for in this incident. It was certainly God’s direction that allowed my son to specifically hit his eyebrow instead of, say, his temple, or his eye! Hopefully, the steri-strip (and God’s healing hand) will prevent it from scarring, but I know if it does scar, God will use it for His glory according to His purpose, and for the good of those who love Him. I am one blessed mama!

What has God used to help you in a bad situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment