Monday, April 15, 2013

Learning


It is so precious to hear my one-and-a-half year old’s voice as he tries out word-like sounds.  He has “mommy” and “daddy,” but not “grandma” yet.  We’re trying to get him to say “me-ma” and “me-me” for grandma and grammy.  He’ll say “me” and he’ll say “ma,” but when we try to get him to say “me-ma” he’ll say “mommy.”  I don’t think we’ve successfully gotten him to repeat the syllable “me,” either.  He is definitely learning, though, and will get there.

It’s fun to watch him learn about the world and how to manipulate his limbs, hands, fingers, feet, and mouth.  Something new is often accompanied by Laughter.  Unless, of course, it crosses his will or relates to discipline.  It presents a rather familiar parallel to my own life.

I enjoy learning things, whether it’s about how to perform a task at work or home, a new song to sing, or about God (and all the myriad facets of that).  However, I don’t particularly like being disciplined by God, or when I want to do something differently than He does.  Yet, I am learning.

The more that I learn about Him and keep my focus on Him and the things He has Taught me, the less I dislike His Discipline - which can also result in needing His discipline less.  You could say that I throw fewer tantrums as I learn and grow in Him.  The same will be true for my son as he comes to understand more about the world - and that what his parents do, including discipline, is for his good.  

Such is true of our Heavenly Father, as well.  Except for one very important distinction:  our Heavenly Father is God Almighty.  He is perfect, sovereign, omniscient (all-knowing), omnipresent (everywhere), and omnipotent (all-powerful) to carry out that good for His children.

I am thankful for learning, and for the growth that God is tending in me through it.  He is my Joy and my comfort, my Rock and my Redeemer.  May I be Intentional to seek His glory above my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment