Saturday, April 6, 2013

Weekly Impressions - The Use of Pain

1 Corinthians 10:13
"No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it."


Something God has impressed upon me this week is my emphasis on how everything He does is for my good and His glory. That’s very true, but it isn’t just my good and His glory. The verse says “...for the good of those who love Him,” which includes me, but isn’t confined to me. Everything He does is for the good of His children (plural) and for His glory.

For example, I have chronic pain. It's for my good and His glory. Yet He can also use my pain to encourage others - His children. Non-believers look at that and say, “See, how can there be a god who would allow that?” Believers can look at it and say, “Wow, see how God is using her through that!” It isn’t about the pain, it’s about its use. Pain is a hard thing... which is why it can be used for such a great testimony.

Others who know pain like that can be encouraged by my walk with the Lord. Of course, I can also falter - and do - which some might argue isn't the best testimony. Yet even my faltering can be a slight encouragement in that others like me know they aren’t alone. They will have times during which they falter as well, and it is a small comfort during those times to know you aren’t the only one of God’s children who stumbles. (Thought we might know all His children stumble, it's quite different to actually see it!)

It’s an example God places before us of what He said in 1 Corinthians 10:13: “No temptation has overcome you but such as is common to man[.]” It doesn’t end there, though. It continues on to say: “and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.” God’s grace is sufficient for His children.


When I am struggling with my perspective, I need to immediately turn to God, confess my sin (or the temptation to), recognize He is in control, then thank Him for that, and request His help. As I ask for His help, I should continue to thank Him for the many things He has given and is doing for me. That thankfulness is a practice of humility before the Lord, which will already start to help shift my perspective back to where it should be: with God on the throne and my thoughts focused on Him, not on my situation.

Thank You, Lord, for Your grace. 

*       *       *

I wrote a poem a long time ago that ties in with this theme and might be encouraging to you. It is called:

In Dreamer’s Dawn


In dreamer’s dawn, 
In sunlight’s kiss, 
Life’s misery and pain
burn away,
In song, in fable
In midnight tale - 
But none can account
for Truth.

Where are the days
When the sun’s rays warm? 
When troubles are but
a dream?
When life deals happiness 
Boundless, abundant, 
And our childish souls 
Laugh with joy?

Why, lost, little one,
Held hostage, entombed, 
Trapped by our ignorance
and sin.
Locked up, deep within
Held tight, lest it slip 
And slither, lost forever
from our grasp.

But joy is not joy 
When held imprisoned, 
Not free to be shared
in love. 
Joy is everlasting 
Radiant and bright 
When freed by the power
of the One.

Christ’s awesome power
His redeeming love 
Cannot be won,
but freed. 
Unlock that door
Inside your heart 
That guards the last
of your stock.

Christ is light, and life, 
And truth, and joy -
He is everything your heart
can dream. 
Just open the door
And leave it ajar;
He’ll take care of the rest
from here on.

True treasure will pour 
Into your soul
Where once so little
was grasped. 
Now, overfull,
You can share your treasure, 
Your love, truth, joy, peace,
and the One.

We often throw out 
The key to the lock, 
And forget what is was
at all.
But the key is His Word,
A broken heart,
And the trials and burdens
that we face.

We may despise
What we cannot escape, 
But if we could see through
His eyes... 
Then we would know
The use of pain,
The wondrous blessing
it can be.

Yes it hurts for a time,
But Christ is eternal;
If you give Him the reins from
the onset -
Just guess at the things 
He will teach you anew,
And the joy you will have 
through the pain.

In dreamer’s dawn, 
In sunlight’s kiss, 
Life’s misery and pain
burn away. 
In radiant beams,
In moonlit streams, 
Joy’s Master shall reign
throughout all.

(For more of my compositions, see www.JenariSkye.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment