Friday, October 4, 2013

Sex


Yep - I’m going there.  I am thankful for sex.  Not just because it feels good, but because it is an amazing expression of God’s glory.  All things can be done for the glory of God. Even sex can be - and should be - a form of worship to Him.  He designed it, and enjoying it according to His design makes for an incredible experience.

God uses a lot of symbolism.  In Genesis 1:27, He starts by making man in His own image.  So, we are a representation of God, as are the things that we do.  Male and female, He created them.  That’s two different body types to represent one God (who also happens to be multiple beings, while still one).  So from the very first marriage, God represented Himself within their relationship - their union (including sex).

1 Corinthians 6:19 says, “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?”  If my body is a temple of God, then every act of my body is an act I perform in God’s temple.  Sex not least of these, as sex is literally inside my body.  

Someone pointed out to me, and I thought it was interesting to note, that the Bible only says that it’s okay to be drunk once:  “...be exhilarated [literally intoxicated] always with her love.” (Proverbs 5:19c)  It refers to the love of his wife.  So in sex, I am enjoying God, my husband, and I can allow myself to be drunk with my husband’s love.  That’s quite a high.

Further marriage symbolism in the Bible can be found in Ephesians 5:23.  “For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body.”  1 Corinthians 11:3 also says, “But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of a woman, and God is the head of Christ.”

This is further symbolism that my marriage is a reflection of the relationship of God with Himself.  They are one God, and in our marriage, my husband and I are one flesh - often (not exclusively) represented by sex.  (On a side note, Jesus always submitted to the will of the Father, and each time I submit to my husband, it is a reflection of that very relationship.  For more on submission, see Weekly Impressions - Submission.)  Every time I enjoy sex as He designed it, I am reflecting God’s relationship with Himself.  Kind of a trip, isn’t it?

(This also brings home the seriousness of defiling that relationship - that union.  If I lust after a man other than my husband, bring a new person into my exclusive relationship with God and my husband.  It would be like bringing someone other than my husband into the temple of God, and having sex.  I defile God and His temple.  Pretty serious stuff.)

It is thus, that I am incredibly thankful for sex.  Within God’s design, it is a form of worship that can bring a mountain top experience.  I am so thankful that God created it out of His great love for us, and to glorify Himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment