Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sunsets

Matthew 10:27
"What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops."


My favorite time of day is just after sunset, when the lighting is relaxed and the light of day is drawing to a close. It’s a precious half hour when the light seems a little warmer, a little cheerier, and yet without the hurried push to get things done. Preceding this time of day is sunset, when God showcases the light in a medley of vibrant warm tones as His grand finale of the sun.

Sunsets are a magnificent end, with the expectation of a sunrise and new beginning the following day. My grandfather passed away a couple days ago on New Year’s Eve. It seems much like the sunset to me. He truly shown with the light of the Holy Spirit and shared it with others as best he could, like the sun shining down on the earth.

It wasn’t his job to try to make it through if people blocked his light with shades or hid in their houses, or if the Lord saw fit to harden their hearts and sent clouds so they couldn’t see. It was simply his job to shine God’s light. I’m not quite sure what the moment of his glorious sunset was. Perhaps my grandmother knows, but I know God got to see it. I enjoyed the cheery, warm, and relaxing light in his later years as his life began to fade.

I never saw him but he didn’t quote at least one verse to me. He overflowed with a perceived urgency to share what God was sharing with him. What God whispered in his ear, he proclaimed from the rooftops. God spoke many truths into my life through my grandpa - many of which I didn’t fully understand until later. Those clouds cleared when God’s timing was right.

I am thankful for sunsets, for the gorgeous light God shines - on the earth and through His people. Now that my grandpa has had his sunset and the light is gone, I am so glad he is experiencing a sunrise with his Lord and Savior. I look forward to seeing him again when God’s timing is right.

What is God whispering in your ear, or what is He teaching you right now? Is there someone you could share it with?

No comments:

Post a Comment