Monday, January 28, 2013

Faith

Colossians 3:2
"Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth."


One of the things God has impressed upon me lately is the importance of turning my eyes toward Him. It's just like when Peter went out onto the water with Jesus. As soon as he took his eyes off Jesus, he began to sink.

In my struggle with depression, I have often felt as though I were walking along a knife-edge precipice in the dark with death and sin below on either side. (You can see more about this here.) Above is the kingdom of God, but it seems out of reach in this life. The light of heaven doesn’t seem to pierce the void of darkness surrounding me. I can look down and see where I need to step on the precipice, but if I step wrong, or my ankle turns, I'll fall - and if I step too hard, I may cut my foot. Faith in this place is to look up at God on His throne... and to take the next step.

Looking up is a good way to throw off my balance and fall, but God isn’t concerned with gravity. As long as I look to Him, He will guide my next step. If I look down, the sin of worry grips me, even though I can see where to step. The step itself worries me. Not to mention the fall into the abyss filled with monsters of the past and unknown worries of the future. I don't see God in the darkness around me, or the precipice before me, or the sin and death below me - I see Him above. Colossians 3:2 “Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.”

God did not intend us to walk this life alone. He walked with Adam in the garden. Though we can’t see Him anymore, He walks with us still, if we accept the gift of His Son. Even if life were a dark abyss with a precipice to walk like a tight-rope, God would still be right beside me.

It is difficult to readily see Him when I look at the things of this world. That is part of why I am seeking Him in thankful things. It is partly an exercise to see His work in this world. Yet when I get caught up in the cares and worries of this world, the best place to look is up - as backwards as that may seem - in order to take the next step.

I am thankful God gave us faith, to be able to lay our anxiety at His feet and say, “Not my will, but Yours, Lord.” Is there something you need to give Him today?

No comments:

Post a Comment