Saturday, January 19, 2013

Weekly Impressions - Forgiveness

Psalm 32:5
"I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the Lord'; and You forgave the guilt of 
my sin. Selah."


I had a particularly difficult time as I struggled with my pride the other day. Everywhere I turned, I faced my pride. I couldn’t escape it, and I couldn’t change it. It made for a very frustrating and depressing day. I was able to cling to the knowledge the feelings would pass, but I was searching for what would help me change my attitude and be more humble. I could still be prideful in my obedience, and even in thinking about others.

It came later - and a bit after the fact - when I was discussing the issue with my husband. He queried if I had asked God forgiveness for my pride. That stopped me in my tracks. No... no, I hadn’t. It’s such a simple beginning - and the first I should go to - but it simply doesn’t register on my radar yet. The very act of asking for forgiveness is humbling. Certainly, it isn’t the be-all end-all answer, but it is a great beginning.

I confessed my sin right then and there and asked for His forgiveness. By this time, my pride wasn’t as prominent, so it didn't have as immediate a benefit as it would have in the moment, but God is always there to forgive us - and forgiveness is always healing.

Now I just need to come up with a way to help me remember asking forgiveness is the first place I need to go. I am so glad when I fail, God is right there waiting to point me back in the right direction. That might hurt sometimes, but it is always for my good and His glory.


Do you need healing through confession? "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment