Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Parties

Leviticus 23:40
"Now on the first day you shall take for yourselves the foliage of beautiful trees, palm branches and boughs of leafy trees and willows of the brook, and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God for seven days."


God commanded the Israelites to celebrate several feasts. In the past, I've often looked at the Old Testament as a time when God was less merciful. It seems riddled with wars, strife, and the commandments of a holy God. Yet if God is unchanging, then He is no different in the New Testament than the Old. It's true Jesus performed the perfect sacrifice to end all sacrifices and the Holy Spirit was unleashed to His followers, but God Himself did not change. He has challenged me to find more of His love as I read the Old Testament, and, though the main part of His love seems to be in setting everything up for Jesus to be the ultimate sacrifice, I have also found things like the feasts mentioned in the verse above. God commanded them to rejoice before Him for seven days! This is just one example I find to support the shorter catechism answer for man's main purpose: to glorify and enjoy Him forever!

For New Years, my husband and I had a party at our home with several of our church friends. When I think of the word “party” I think of a big party with tons of people, loud music, loud conversation, and available alcoholic beverages, like you might expect in the photo above. This is strange, because it’s not my idea of a party. I’m not saying it’s bad, just not what I enjoy. I enjoy a smaller group of people - in which it’s not as easy to get lost - with low music in the background to encourage conversation, who gathered to eat and spend time with each other... and probably play board, card, or video games. Games are fun! Alcohol is optional, but not highlighted. A movie can also be a fair addition. This is my idea of a party.

I always find myself content and smiling after one of these parties. We have awesome friends, and love being able to open our home for fun and getting to spend time with them and just enjoy their company. We live a fair way out of town, so I always feel blessed by their willingness to come out.

I am thankful for parties, for the opportunity to connect with friends and to share our home and blessings from God. Thankfully enjoying His gifts is one way we glorify and enjoy Him! What is something you thankfully enjoy from Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment