Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Plumbing

Ecclesiastes 11:5
"Just as you do not know the path of the wind and how bones are formed in the womb of the pregnant woman, so you do not know the activity of God who makes all things."


Having known the marvelous benefits of plumbing, I would mourn were I unable to use it any longer. Plumbing (while working properly, of course) makes life so much easier! A nice hot shower at the day’s end can serve to ease a multitude of ailments, and I truly appreciate the general lack of stench due to a plumbed toilet. Raising a child without running water would be no picnic. I often find myself holding my one-year-old (whether to keep him out of trouble, or because he likes it) and thus am limited to one hand. Pouring water onto something requires a hand to pour and a hand to hold whatever you’re trying to pour the water into. Thanks to God’s indirect invention of plumbing, all I have to do is flip a lever with one hand and then hold the item under the faucet. Not to mention, I don’t have to pump or draw the water and then haul it to my home.

Christians talk about God being in all things, and with each new thankful thing, I find myself praising Him because of the vastness of that reality. When I consider each and every little thing God has His hands in, I bring myself face-to-face with just how immeasurable and infinite God really is. He cannot be defined because there is no combination of words to truly describe Him.

I am thankful for plumbing, that it is one more thing to portray His infiniteness (and, of course, for the convenience!). May I see Him more and more and be humbled in praise and awe. Can you find His mark in something simple like plumbing?

No comments:

Post a Comment