Saturday, February 2, 2013

Weekly Impressions - Back to Basics

Romans 2:4
"Or do you think lightly of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?"


I have enjoyed seeking God in each of my thankful things. However, I am rediscovering how best to be thankful and give God the glory. I have a tendency to get a little too theological. Being theological isn’t bad - it’s good to learn about and ponder the Creator. However, when I let theology become the point rather than God Himself, I am placing theology on the throne instead of God.

Lord,

Please forgive me for committing idolatry. Lead me to live Your teaching rather than simply dissect it. As my pastor describes it so well, let what I learn about You flow from my head to my heart to my hands. Show me how best to serve You and give me a willingness and desire to do what You have shown me. Thank You for the victory in Your Son, and that You always answer prayer. May Your light shine through me, and not my own murky glimmer I mistake for light.

Amen.


There is such a fine line to what I put on the throne when my own pride becomes involved. I would venture to say it’s one of the trickiest and most common pitfalls we sinners encounter. Yet, through Christ, I can repent and overcome my pride one bit at a time. I often find He will bring me back to the basics to accomplish just that.

Confess, pray, repent, and be thankful. I get so caught up in the more advanced ideas that I forget these. Thank You, Lord, that Your kindness leads me to repentance. (Romans 2:4)

What forms the foundation of your faith? Does it show in your everyday life?

No comments:

Post a Comment