Thursday, July 12, 2012

Opportunity to Serve


Colossians 3:23-24
“Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.”
Have you ever had the opportunity to serve someone?  Unless you’ve lived life as a hermit, you’ve at least had the option.  Do you remember it as a positive experience?  Your experiences might be both positive and negative.  Thank God He uses both.
What is your purpose behind your service?  Is it the thanks you receive afterward?  The joy you experience in bringing joy to someone else?  Or is it to bring glory to God?
When I’m having a bad experience serving someone, it’s usually due to my motives.  It’s not bad to enjoy the thanks you receive, or to feel good about helping someone.  However, these are the icing on the cake.  They aren’t the reason we serve, they're the bonuses.  Our true reason should be the opportunity to serve God, and to do it in such a way that brings Him glory.
When I’m in the kitchen, feeling sorry for myself having to do chores, what I really need to be focusing on is the fact that I’m serving God.  Everything I do in life should be in service of Him.  I can never repay the debt that I have to my Savior, but that isn’t the point.  The point is your relationship with Him.  He enjoys just being with you, and delights when you serve Him.  I am thankful that I can do something with Him.
So... who are you serving today?

No comments:

Post a Comment