Saturday, July 28, 2012

Weekly Impressions - Strategy


2 Corinthians 10:3-5
“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ...”
I have, for the most part, enjoyed myself this past week.  God has been revealing more to me through this discipline in thankfulness.  In looking for at least one thing to focus on being thankful for each day, I have begun to see Him more in the things around me.  The best part is, I have been able to focus a little more on Him rather than on myself.  The more I think about things in relation to myself, the more likely I am to become frustrated or upset.  The more I focus on things in relation to Him and the myriad ways He is at work in my life, the more thankful and joyful I become.
My expectations seem to be the biggest culprit lately.  If things don’t go the way I expect them to - or think they should - my thoughts will automatically start to degenerate.  I have to take a mental hold on them at that point and replace my focus on me with focus on God.  I was able to do this with Clouds a few times this week.  God’s Creation makes it easier to find something to bring my focus toward God while I’m outside, as I can see it all around me.  Inside, I have generally needed to recall ideas such as Teaching and Family.
The thing that has helped me the most this week is to remember “It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.” (Colossians 3:24b) from Opportunity to Serve.  This helps me to refocus on the fact that God is in control and has a Purpose for what I am going through or doing.  I don’t have to worry about being “successful” because God has the Victory - it is His success.  Being able to combine thankful things like that has made thankful things even more effective.
What thankful things has God shown you this past week?  

No comments:

Post a Comment