Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Get Up First


When I was growing up, my dad would get up around 5 or 5:30 a.m. (I’m not actually sure when as I was never up at that time unless absolutely necessary).  This meant that by the time I got up (usually 6:30 on weekdays at that time), the house had already been readied for the day:  the window shades were all open with sun pouring in, the fire had been stoked and more wood added if it was cold, etc.  On weekends, my parents would occasionally turn up the music on their living room speakers (my bedroom shared the wall) and rock out to some AC/DC or some such while making breakfast around 8-8:30 a.m.  I loved it.  I love waking up to hearing (or seeing) other people already enjoying being up.

Now that I’m the parent, and my husband doesn’t get up at 5:30 a.m., I find myself missing that.  It takes discipline to be the first person up, and to get the house ready for the day.  To walk out to the cold dark room and open the windows to let in some sun, or turn up the heater (I don’t have a fireplace like my parents did), or put on some music.  (Yes, Mom and Dad, I definitely appreciate you!)  

Waking up to other people enjoying themselves is, for me, the equivalent of snuggling up on the couch with a cup of hot cocoa and a book on a rainy fall day.  My husband and I get up at pretty much the same time, and whoever doesn’t get to the bathroom first generally waits in bed until its available.  I had a particularly difficult time this morning with the idea of getting up first.  I hadn’t had much time to mull it over before my husband, without a word, hopped out of bed.  It seemed much sooner than usual.  I felt an immediate flash of thankfulness as he did so.  He wasn’t going to let the sun in, etc. before I made it out of bed, but even that he was first out of bed helped to take off the pressure that I felt in getting up first.  He would already be up and about when I got up.  It was wonderful.

I am thankful that my husband got up first this morning, and that God knew it would minister to me.  The Lord knows my thoughts and desires, and I enjoyed His gift this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment