Friday, September 13, 2013

His Christ-Driven Heart


Psalm 119:9
“How can a young man keep his way pure?
By keeping it according to Your word.”

One thing that I hold in high esteem about my husband is that he intentionally keeps his heart pliable to Christ.  Certainly, he sins - just as I do - but he really does strive to be more Christ-like.  As I write this, he is off at his discipleship group, which is one of a few small groups of men from our church who gather to help one another and to focus on God’s Word.

He works to memorize scripture and to read his Bible every day, but it isn’t just the “spiritual” things that he does; I can see the fruit of the Spirit lived out in his life.  Galatians 5:22-23 says:  “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.”  

Anyone could tell he loves me by the way that he talks to me.  He is gentle with me, and tones his bluntness down.  He patiently works through things with me when we don’t see eye-to-eye.  He practices self-control in the midst of his anger.  All of this he does because he chooses Christ as the driving force behind his heart.

He sets a great example to me of what it is to seek God.  Despite the times when he takes control of his heart in pride - and I often respond in kind - I am incredibly thankful that He seeks to follow God and His statutes, and thus has a Christ-driven heart.  God ministers to me through my husband, and I am very blessed.  I pray that Christ shines through me to bless him, also - and even more so when he stumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment