Friday, December 21, 2012

Beds

Proverbs 3:21,22,24
"My son, let them not vanish from your sight; keep sound wisdom and discretion, so they will be life to your soul and adornment to your neck... When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie 
down, your sleep will be sweet."


Beds are truly a gift from God. Being able to rest in my comfortable bed instead of a street corner is quite the luxury. I am thankful God gave me a bed upon which to sleep so He can rejuvenate me for the next day.

Beds can be quite versatile, too. I used to do everything on my bed: homework, reading, knitting, and of course, sleeping. In fact, sleep beckons as I write upon my bed!

I used to have trouble sleeping, and I sought aid in the above verse in Proverbs. Sound wisdom and discretion seemed (and often still do seem) like such a nebulous and unreachable thing. Yet they also seemed to be the key to no fear and sweet dreams. There can be many reasons for poor sleep, but anxiety can certainly be one of them, and I definitely struggled with anxiety. As time has progressed, it wasn't really until a biblical counselor helped me unpack how to use Philippians 4:6-8 - to approach God with my requests with thanksgiving, that I noticed a true difference in my sleep. It wasn't a complete fix, but it definitely had an impact.

It's interesting to see how God's wisdom changes everything. Writing about something I was thankful for every day kept God's goodness at the forefront of my mind. The intentionality, consistency, and frequency helped me to change my perspective. It's not only the truths we learn, but our practice of them in daily life that changes us. This practice proved my knowledge of the truth of God's abundant gifts and love. Every breath is a gift, everything we wear, touch, see, feel, etc. Our entire reality is God's gift, and every moment is another spent in His benevolence. This wisdom is the source of great peace... and often good sleep.

What truth do you need to prove to yourself in daily practice, thought, and/or meditation? What are some ways you can do so daily?

No comments:

Post a Comment