Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Date Nights

Ephesians 5:28
"In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself."


I am so glad God designed spouses to take time away to be with just each other. I don't want to be away from my child, but I do want to be alone with my sweetheart sometimes, which is a good thing to desire. It enables us to nurture our relationship. Time set purposely aside to spend with my husband and no one else is a way we can bond closer together, which allows us to better show the love of Christ to others.

Marriage is a beautiful relationship God created to reflect the relationship between Christ and His church. Ephesians 5:22-33 has a fair amount to say about it. I honed in a bit on verse 28, where it tells husbands, "He who loves his wife loves himself," because it shows the importance given to the relationship. We are caring for ourselves when we care for our spouse. Spending time to get to know each other, hearing about each other's day, and finding out where the other is at helps us know how better to care for the other, which in turn, cares for us. 

All relationships require time to get to know the other. I have been too lax lately in setting aside enough time to be with God. Yet time with Him is vital to His and my relationship. That relationship is the most important relationship in my life - even more so than my marriage. Thus it has moved up in my priority list. The more my husband and I love God, the more we love each other. The more we love each other, the better God’s love is shown through us to the world. I am thankful God gave mankind the tool of a date night to help us show His love. Have you set God first in your marriage?

No comments:

Post a Comment