Monday, December 10, 2012

Our Cat

Colossians 1:17
"[Christ] is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."


Our cat is a silver bengal, received from a friend. He’s a bit small for the breed from what I understand, but it makes for a lean normal cat-size. When we first got him as a kitten, we couldn’t keep him where we lived (we were planning on moving very soon), but I was able to keep him where I slept for one night. He slept on my shoulder and purred. It was a bit of an anxious time for me, and I’ll never forget how God used that purr to soothe me. It was also an awesomely cute experience.

He’s rather large to sleep on my shoulder now, but he does often sleep with us when he’s not out cruising town. These past winter nights have found him inside more often - which I enjoy, because I love having his little purr-box to go to sleep to. He'll even leave my knitting alone!

I can definitely see God’s hand in our cat’s temperament. He has never bitten (love-bites aside), nor clawed us. The only times he’s scratched me are when he’ll plop himself down in my lap, but be so off-center he slips off (lol!). I wasn’t worried when our son was born, but I was curious to see how my cat would handle the newcomer. I have found him in the crib a few times, but never while my son was in it. He’s been the perfect gentleman.

He’s very gentle and incredibly patient. We receive a few looks, and sometimes he’ll bow himself out, but he’s only love-bit my son once as a warning (which the little tyke fully deserved). My son will often give him a hug - especially if he’s mewing.

I am thankful for our cat, for God's gift of his even temper, God's gift of his soothing purr, and for God's gift of safety and "exposure" to an animal for my son. It reminds me of how God holds all things together and works all things for the good of His children.

No comments:

Post a Comment