Saturday, December 22, 2012

Weekly Impressions - The Upward Spiral


I’m noticing a trend.  A great trend.  The more I try to focus on things that I’m thankful for, the more thankful I am.  Imagine that.  The more thankful I am, the more I think about things that I’m thankful for.  I shouldn’t be amazed to find that there’s an upward spiral, but it did take me by surprise... and I am very thankful for it.

When my focus is on myself, I am relying on my circumstances for my joy, since I am thinking about how things affect me.  If I begin to get depressed as a result of my circumstances, my depressing thoughts feed on themselves and spiral downward.  When my focus is on God, circumstances don’t matter, because God Himself is unchanging.  I am very fickle, but God is the I AM.  With Him there is no variation or shifting shadow.  Just as my focus on myself brings the downward spiral of depression, Meditation upon God brings the upward spiral of Joy through thankfulness and humility.

I don’t claim to have it all down.  I simply claim that I AM is my strength, my worth, and my Joy.  Through His Divine Power, I have enduring hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment