Thursday, November 29, 2012

Rain

Psalm 121:5
"The Lord is Your Keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand."


I love the rain. I love the tinkling sound it makes on the roof in the car, and the designs it makes on windows. I love the roaring sound of it pouring down on a building’s rooftop, and the earthy smell that greets your nostrils when you step outside.  Colors are more vibrant, which is made more apparent by the relaxing overcast grey.

After entering work this morning, I heard the wind press up against the sliding door beside me and immediately opened the blinds in excitement to find that it was, in fact, raining.  I have this child-like desire to watch the rain when I hear it, and to just listen when it’s pouring down. It lights my face with a smile, relaxes me, and somehow gives me a child-like energy at the same time. I just want to enjoy it.

In answer to why it makes me relax, the best I can figure is it reminds me that I am not in control, and the God who controls the mighty force of the weather is. He creates those infinite designs on the windows. He creates the force that makes that same water bear down upon the roof. He created the ecological system that needed it, and the gravitational forces that make the colorful leaves heavier with water to fall to the ground faster.

And that same God knows I’m in the middle of His weather, and is protecting me from it. To be outside in the wind is to be braced by His hand against the gusts. To be inside during a deluge is to be sheltered under His wing. To watch the designs of the water on the window is God sharing His creativity with me, and letting me smile and marvel at His “magic tricks.” I am thankful for the rain and the reminder of God’s protection and love within it.

What reminds you of His love?

No comments:

Post a Comment