Monday, July 15, 2013

Candle Wicks


I sometimes enjoy writing my blog in my bed by the light of my computer and a Candle.  The candle I have used has a lot of life left in it, but the wick bent over and the flame was low, which meant next to no light.  This brought to light the meaning behind “trimming the wick” for me.  

So, feeling rather domestic, I trimmed the wick.  This worked great until the larger flame melted more wax off the sides, which raised the wax level.  There might have been enough wick left, but the top of the wick curled back down into the higher wax, which put out the flame.  I needed more wick or less wax.  More wax means longer life, so - again, feeling domestic - I created my own wick out of a napkin and rolled it around the existing wick to give it a foundation.

My new wick worked!  Until it melted a hole in the side of my candle and the wax fled through the exit to leak off the night stand and onto my knitting.  (Oops!  Note to self:  put a plate under your candle.  Side note:  Does anyone know how to remove wax from knitted clothing?)  I had come too far to stop now, so I used the warm wax to stop up the hole, and noticed that the wick was leaning a bit.

I used my barrette (the best and closest tool I could think of to use to accomplish all of this wick moving) to nudge my napkin wick upright, with the plan of letting the wax cool around it to help steady it before I lit it again.  However, the wick liked my barrette too much to let go, and suddenly my wick was in shambles.

I would not be thwarted so easily.  I rolled a new wick - improved, even, based on my last one.  I made it shorter and wider, so as to roll it more times.  This time, the candle worked beautifully, and I write this in its warm glow.

When I think of candles, I remember this portion of Jesus’ sermon on the mount:  “You are the light of the world.  A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:14-16)

A candle (or lamp) needs care when its light has grown dim.  Sometimes, that care takes a bit of perseverance.  This light of Christ within me was meant to be shared, and if I let it grow dim, I limit how far I can reach (not to mention my poor example of the radiance of God’s glory).  Tonight’s little adventure reminded me that I need to check my light, and that even in the midst of a drawn-out struggle, God will bring about His glory within me, with perseverance in discipline and faith in His timing.  

How well am I portraying Christ to those around me?  Certainly, I’m not perfect, but one of my highest goals should be to live in such a way that Christ and His glory are blatantly apparent.  I am thankful for God’s reminder to me tonight in candle wicks, of the priority of being a light for Him to the world.  Whether that be to my husband, to my family, friends, other christians, my coworkers, other drivers on the road, or the cashier at the grocery store.  I should strive for God’s light to be so bright in me that it shines on everyone around me.  (And it’s possible!  I have seen it in other christians.)

Am I hiding Him in my heart, or am I sharing His light and joy with everyone I come in contact with?  Am I skirting around talking about Him and what He has to say about an issue, or am I being bold in Christ and His love?  

Am I under a basket, or on a lampstand?

No comments:

Post a Comment