Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Work Atmosphere


1 Corinthians 14:26
“What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.”

I am very blessed in my current work atmosphere.  I am rather used to the small business scurry of cramming too much work into too little time.  It seems to be a necessary evil of the small business.  Don’t get me wrong; I rather enjoy that at times, and I love not having to specialize in any one thing.  It is rather fun being a jack-of-all trades - especially if you’re any good at it.  My current workplace, however, has a rather different feel to it.

I work as a secretary for a medium-sized church.  We still have that small feel of being involved in everything (so I still get to be a jack-of-all trades), but the scurry and flurry of too many things in too little time is usually not present.  The work load is usually still there, but the attitude while facing it is not.  I truly appreciate that.

The people are more important than the work.  I’m not talking about customer service; I was under the gun the most in that line of work.  I mean taking the time to connect with people, rather than efficiently moving them through the work flow.  

There’s a well-known illustration depicting a professor pouring golf balls, pebbles, and sand into a container in that order.  (It’s a fun and meaningful illustration.  If you’d like to read it before I spoil it for you, click here.)  Each time, though the container is full, it still has room for the next item.  After filling it with sand, the professor then pours in two cups of coffee, and the container is still able to hold it.  Part of the idea behind the illustration is that there is always time for a cup of coffee with a friend.  (If you like coffee.  Myself, I prefer hot chocolate.)

This illustration paints, for me, a fair picture of the way we “handle” people at my work.  No matter how busy I am, I can always take some time to connect with a person.  If they require more time than I have, perhaps they can help me, say, fold bulletins while we talk.  Barring that, I can find someone to help - usually one of my coworkers.  But the people are more important than the work.

It has been a little strange for me, as I am a task-oriented person, who likes to make things flow as efficiently as possible.  Despite this, I have still found that this attitude, or philosophy, if you will, is a breath of fresh air.

After all, God gave us our gifts and talents to be used for other people.  Thus, God intended for people to come first (after Him) in our lives.  “Let all things be done for edification.”

No comments:

Post a Comment