Thursday, September 20, 2012

Showers

Psalm 46:10
“Cease striving and know that I am God...”

The obvious aspect of this thankful thing is personal hygiene.  The added benefit, though, is that I actually fall asleep easier and sleep better after a shower.  It also helps to have clean sheets.  I just feel like I can relax with that clean feeling.  The wet hair can be an issue, but that’s just a matter of timing.  If you shower early enough before bed to have 15 minutes to a half hour to let the immediate excess dissipate, it works rather well.

I have a feeling that the ability to relax when I feel clean can be attributed to the level of stress that I can put on myself about cleaning the house.  I “can’t” relax until the house is clean.  It isn’t bad to want a clean house - but it is bad when you can’t relax because your house isn’t clean.  In much the same way, I “can’t” relax until I’m clean.  Once clean, it seems that I’ve finally arrived at that brief, but pleasurable place where everything that has to be done has been.  If I am placing stress upon myself to the point that I can’t relax until everything is done and clean, then I am idolizing cleanliness.  Sometimes, the house just has to wait - and that’s okay.

I have found that I haven’t had such an issue with stressing over the chores not getting done since I have submitted responsibility for them to my husband, even though it is still my job.  (See “Weekly Impressions - Submission” for more on that.)  This is one of the ways that I have been able to move toward a focus on life the way that God sees it.

So I am thankful for showers.  Not only do they help me sleep better, but they are a reminder from God of how I can be free from the bondage of that sin in my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment