Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Roads

I am thankful for roads because they enable us to traverse greater distances with greater ease.  My home is located about a 45 minute drive away from my work.  If I had to live closer to work, I would be renting instead of owning, because the cost of housing closer to town is beyond what my husband and I could afford.

I am also thankful for the drive because my husband and I carpool for about 25 minutes of it, which gives us a little time to discuss things.  If we weren’t forced to be in the car with one another while unable to do anything else, we would probably use the time to accomplish other things.  This discussion, however, helps to keep us on the same page and striving toward the same goals.  

It makes me wonder a little about how much a husband and wife relationship could be affected by the amount of communication (positive and negative) that would have occurred when it took much longer to travel from point A to point B.  Then, as now, we have the choice when we spend time with our spouse to draw closer to them, or to alienate one another.  It doesn’t take effort to alienate someone.  In fact, quite the opposite; it takes effort not to.

My husband and I aren’t always purposeful in our time together, but when we are, it draws us closer together.  I’m not talking about simply being purposeful that you spend time together, but also in what you do and how you spend your time with one another.  

Do you and your spouse have a recurring time that you are both purposeful about?

No comments:

Post a Comment