Monday, June 17, 2013

Thermometers


Our Son is now 19 months old.  He doesn’t have a lot of words down, though he has his own version of a fair number of signs.  He cannot, however, communicate to us clearly yet.  We have to determine when he isn’t feeling well - which may or may not be clear.

This past Sunday, he was pretty clingy, and didn’t pass Grandma’s “kiss test.”  (This is a test in which she kisses his forehead, and the temperature feels warmer than normal.)  So we pulled out the thermometer (one of those nifty ones that you swipe across the forehead) and checked his temperature.  Sure enough, he had a fever.  My poor little man is a little under the weather.

I am thankful, though, that we had a thermometer with which we could obtain a quantified observation to reach a definitive conclusion.  Without those types of facts, I’m much more prone to worry and anxiety.  The fact that he has a fever calls for certain steps, like Tylenol to help reduce it, drinking cold milk, a bath in tepid water if necessary.  Not knowing if those steps needed to be performed, however, would drive me to distraction.

I am thankful that God has provided thermometers as a way in which I can obtain the information necessary to derive a definite answer to the question of whether or not my son has a fever.

No comments:

Post a Comment