Saturday, June 22, 2013

Weekly Impressions - Disciplines


I am struck again by the necessity and usefulness of being Intentional in my walk with God.  (A recent example of this is displayed in my post Thankfulness.)  If I do not intentionally “...take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ...” (2 Corinthians 10:5), then am I truly following Christ?  Being a follower of Christ is not the sort of thing that one can place in a box of time and do only during that time.  It is a way of life.

God built several things into the Jews’ way of life in Deuteronomy and Numbers.  One such thing was “...they shall make for themselves tassels on the corners of their garments throughout their generations, and... they shall put on the tassel of each corner a cord of blue.  It shall be a tassel for you to look at and remember all the commandments of the Lord, so as to do them and not follow after your own heart and your own eyes... so that you may remember to do all My commandments and be holy to your God.  I am the Lord your God[.]”  (Numbers 15:38b-41a)

When I read this years ago, reminders of God were a bit of a new concept to me, and I actually made myself a blue tassel that I put on my desk at work.  This is but one example of the reminders that God specifically commanded the Jews to have of Him.  There were a myriad of them!  Reminders of God are important.

I need to brainstorm more ways that I can be intentional in my walk with Him.  I think, in fact, that this brainstorm should be a regular action, so that as I grow, I can incorporate more things in my life to help me stay focused on Him at all times.  Those “disciplines,” if you will, should represent my growth, and help perpetuate more growth in the future.

Two of my “disciplines” are my quiet time and this blog.  Both are pretty daily, and a good way to help me focus on Him.  During my walk around the lake at lunch on work days, I often pray.  I think that I will be more intentional about making it a designated prayer time.  Praying before a meal is another example.  It doesn’t necessarily have to be big, just something that helps to draw focus back to God - like a blue tassel in a place that is often seen.

What “disciplines” do you have?  What might you want to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment