Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Simplicity


2 Corinthians 11:3
“But I am afraid that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, your minds will be led astray from the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ.”

Too easily, I get bogged down in what I see as the complexities of a life in Christ.  I consider Wisdom and how it adapts to a situation.  I can’t keep track of all of the do this ifs, and don’t do that ifs, and the exceptions to every rule.  Yet in reality, what is the one true guide to following Christ?

Luke 10:27
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.”

Just two “rules.”  That’s it.  And really, it’s one rule:  Love.  Not the love that panders to every whim and tries to make everyone “happy.”  The kind of hard core love that is willing to do the hard things - what’s best - for the recipient.  It doesn’t mention self, either, except to compare how I should love others.  Lord knows that I focus on myself often enough.  

It also says allAll my heart, all my soul, all my strength, and all my mind.  I am to give my all to Christ, and that is a portrayal of pure devotion... of simplicity.  All is a lot of effort - it’s everything.  So perhaps simple isn’t easy, but at least it’s straightforward.  It's also Intentional.

I am thankful for simplicity, that God boils down the “whole law and the prophets” (Matthew 22:40 in reference to the same incident) in those two commandments of love.  I pray that I would hold on to that concept, and that when things seem so complicated, I would ask myself the question:  how can I love God and my “neighbor” in this situation?  What would best portray God, and be best for my neighbor?

No comments:

Post a Comment