Monday, August 20, 2012

Arcade Games


Philippians 3:14
“I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”

Question:  How do you win an arcade game?  (Trick question; you can’t.)  

Fact:  I have a fear of failure.  This is not from God, nor is it a godly attitude.  It is, however, something that I bring to my relationship with Christ, and He guides me through my struggle.  

You would think that I would hate arcade games, seeing as there’s no way to actually win, or “succeed.”  However, “success” in an arcade game is making it farther than you did before.  

Life in Christ seems a little like an arcade game to me in that sense.  Success isn’t about getting to the end.  God will bring that about in His good time.  It’s about getting farther than you were before.  Farther meaning becoming more like Christ.  

I am thankful for arcade games because God used them to show me a different angle from which to see my walk with Him.  If you have ever played arcade games over the course of several days (or longer), you know that you don’t achieve your best every time.  You have your “good days” and your “bad days.”  You do, however, get better overall.

I rely heavily on God’s promise that “...He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”  (Philippians 1:6)  This is not a license to simply sit back and “let God do His thing.”  That isn’t what Paul is talking about.  It’s a promise that Christ will grow us despite our sin.  Despite my failures.  

To live is Victory in Christ.  (And you don’t even have to start from scratch like you do in an arcade game.)  Do you need to change your definition of success?

No comments:

Post a Comment